Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wasatch Academy Students Traveling to Costa Rica


"Education does not end in the classroom, but it is an excellent place to start…"

Students from Wasatch Academy, a residential school located in Utah, will soon be travelling to Costa Rica to take part in Ecology Project International's Sea Turtle Ecology Program. This program represents different things to each of our students. Here is what a handful of the Wasatch students had to say:

Of all the things I'm excited for about the EPI course I am most interested in the Biology aspect of it. I have always enjoyed things related to Biology and when I graduate from High School I wish to pursue Biology as one of my majors. Therefore, because EPI is focused on Biology, saving Sea turtles, and preserving the rainforest I am very excited for all the things I will be able to do when I am in Costa Rica.
- Grete Slaugh~ Salt Lake City, Utah

I am very excited to go on this trip to Costa Rica as I have never been to a South American country. Also that I am learning Spanish at school, I have been wanting to be able to go to a Spanish-speaking country and learn it. Now the chance has come and I think I am very lucky. I hope I learn a lot from this trip and help the sea turtles.-Sophia Joo- Korea

I was born in Hawaii (Oahu) and raised there for 11 years, after which I moved to Vermont for the next 3. I'm interested in the course because I wish to be a marine biologist when I grow up, so this should be a rewarding experience in that field. I'm excited to be traveling again, I find it's the best way to learn.
-Haley~Vermont

I am very excited to be able to go on the Costa Rica trip with Dr.Wackford. I believe that this trip will be a great experince because it will help me learn more about Bio in my coming years. I also want to thank you for letting me be able to join this trip and be able to study sea turtles. I have always wanted to travel out of the US and study at the same time, but because of this course I will be able to do so. I'm looking forward to coming out at night and looking for turtles! This will be once in a life time chance for me to be able to do this so again I'd like to say thank you! And I think it is great that you are offering the EPI course to our school and that who will all be going on this trip will greatly enjoy it! I know I really will enjoy this trip alot and it'll be a fun experince also.
-Ana Kenzy~Spring City, Utah

Since first hearing of this great opportunity, I have been hugely excited in the trip and project. I anticipate being able to see this new locale and get hands on experience in its environment and helping to preserve, something this beautiful needs to be around for as long as it can, and I'm very excited to help and experience it for myself.-Zachary Jones~ Marine County, California

Data collected by Ecology Project International students are utilized by scientists to improve conservation efforts for Leatherback sea turtles. During the Leatherback nesting season, EPI students walk the beach in search of sea turtles and their nests, to study population trends and protect the nests from tides, poachers, and other threats.

Que ten buen viajes!